Here are some best practices to preserve the quality of your food and keep you safe!
FreshSpoke offers a variety of products, including those that contain common allergens, such as tree nuts, peanuts, milk, soy, gluten and other common allergens. These items are all kept in the same distribution centre where they are packed for orders.
Local food lovers with sensitivities and allergies should be aware and cautious. We strive to keep product information up to date on our online marketplace for individual product contents. Please always read the packaging for specific details before consuming.
Refrigeration & Storage
FreshSpoke orders are leaving our facility daily! Once it is delivered to your door or curbside, it is highly important to move your items to an appropriate storage spot as soon as possible. We offer a variety of items that need to be refrigerated or stored frozen. Orders in totes come with temporary ice packs and insulated liners. However, orders in paper bags do not.
If you have questions about where to properly store your items or have food safety concerns, please contact [email protected] or call us directly at 1-844-483-7374 x 205.
Tips to stay safe and enjoy your local food:
- Be aware of dates to ensure your food is consumed before the integrity of the product is at risk. This includes "best before" dates and other similar labels.
- Keep your refrigerator at 4 °C or colder.
- Keep your freezer at -18 °C or colder.
- Wash produce before consuming or cooking.
- Wash your hands (...as if we haven't been told this enough yet!)
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
- Read all labels for information on preparation instructions, ingredients, allergens and storage.
- Regularly clean your preparation area and food storage spots (including your fridge!). Before each order arrives, it's a great idea to give a quick clean of surfaces and walls, then do a deep clean at least once per month.
For more info on food safety, visit Health Canada for safe handling and food storage practices.